The first version of the Lumu Power Manual is here: Tap to download PDF.
It is regularly updated, based on your questions and suggestions.
Since the inception of Lumu Power, we have spent a lot of time trying to make our Light Meter app as simple, self-explanatory and intuitive as possible. We are aware that there is room for improvement.
Hence, we invite you to explore the app as much as possible. Do not be frightened, it's totally unbreakable, neither can the functionalities go wrong. After exploring, please send us key feedback about your experience - Any reoccurring problem(s)? which features do you not know the purpose of? Please kindly write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
With your help we will make our app more useful. And we will be able to prepare the most relevant features-manual and how-to-use real world examples. We care deeply about how to make your photographs better and your life easier.
A brief overview of the functionalities to get you started:
1) “Home Screen” (where all the different Modes are listed)
- The Gear icon in the top left corner takes you to the app's “General Settings”. Here you can:
- see the info about your Lumu Power, additionally calibrate it or factory restore it;
- customize which Modes are visible on the Home Screen;
- turn off “Auto app open” (= pop-up message when your Lumu Power is inserted into the iPhone);
- set app to Dark Theme;
- set measuring button to “CONTINUOUS MEASURING” in all Modes. Measuring button function will change from “hold to measure” to tap to START/STOP measuring.
- Pencil icon in bottom right corner: takes you to all the saved measurements.
2) On each Mode Screen:
- on top of the screen, you can see small pictogram - it tells you which side of the Lumu Power is measuring in this specific mode
- with the top right icon you access Mode-specific Settings
- with bottom right Pencil icon you save the last measurement
3) ILLUMINANCE Mode
- AVG icon in the bottom left will plot the graph of the measurement and calculate average illuminance in real time. For this option to be visible, you have to set “CONTINUOUS MEASURING” to ON in the app's General Settings.
4) PHOTO AMBIENT Mode
- You have to tap on the photo parameter (APERTURE / EXPOSURE / ISO) to choose and measure it. The remaining two parameters are locked and you can adjust their value by swiping them left-right or tapping on the < > arrows.
- Bottom left icon gives you the option to set exposure or filters compensation if you use them.
- Drop down menu on the top of the screen reveals additional “MULTI” and “PINHOLE” submodes.
5) PHOTO FLASH Mode
- You operate it similarly to the PHOTO AMBIENT Mode.
- After you measure a flash, you can adjust parameter values with swiping. The app will automatically recalculate all displayed parameters.
6) PHOTO SPOT METERING Mode
- uses iPhone’s camera only, no need for Lumu Power hardware
- you select and adjust photo parameters the same as in the PHOTO AMBIENT Mode
7) CINE/VIDEO Mode
- in this Mode, you always measure APERTURE
- tap on FPS or EXPOSURE to manually insert the values and swipe ISO to set its value
8) COLOR TEMPERATURE Mode
- Currently showing GREEN/MAGENTA shift in standard colorimetric scale. Additional options to display it in Adobe or other standards will be added with future app updates.
- Drop down menu on top of the screen reveals “FILTERS” submode, where you can measure a color difference of two different lights.
9) CHROMATICITY Mode
- currently only showing reading in CIE 1931 color space, more options will be added in the future app updates
Remember - Lumu Power is an incident light meter, so you have to measure the amount of light falling on the subject.
Thanks for all the feedback and ideas about how to make our app better!